Florentine Roll-ups (recipe modified from San Giorgio pasta)
16 oz. box of uncooked lasagna noodles (I used whole-wheat)
4 cups (2 lbs) ricotta or cottage cheese (I used part-skim ricotta)
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (I used mozzarella)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach (I used more like 4 or 5 cups)
1/2 cup sliced green onion (I used 1/2 a large sweet)
1 egg, slightly beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups (26 oz) tomato/spaghetti sauce
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; run under cold water to cool off. Drain, then lay separately on cutting board or piece of foil.
2. In large bowl stir together cheeses, spinach, onion, egg, salt and pepper (I also added in Italian seasoning mix).
3. Spread about 1/3 cup cheese mixture on each piece of pasta to within 1inch of end; roll up. Repeat with all noodles (I had approx. 16 noodles).
4. In bottom of baking dish (either one 13x9x2 or two 8x8) spread 2/3 cup tomato/spaghetti sauce. Place roll-ups seam side down in dish. Top with remaining sauce.
*At this point you can cover with foil and freeze the dish(es). Add cheese before baking. Bake at 350 for 45-90 minutes, if baking from thawed (45 mins) or frozen (90).
5. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 45 mins. at 350 degrees F.