Saturday, May 31, 2008

Up to our ears in beets and greens

My husband has the greenest of green thumbs. Our gardens really go gangbusters under his watchful eye. This is our third year of gardening at this house, and the frequent additions of home grown compost ash from our wood burning stove. Our early crops are in full swing and I have spent the past two weekends trying to come up with enough recipes to use up the bounty.

Oodles of Rainbow Chard and Spinach --
I have made two "Greek Greens and Sweet Onion Pie" in the past week. Last night I really caramelized the onions and it really added depth to the pie. We love this recipe! I ate leftovers last week for breakfast!

For a bbq last week I made a version of Swiss Chard with Chickpeas and Couscous. I used Israeli couscous -- which is bigger in size and has a great texture. I nixed the pine nuts and used cashews, and added a good heaping of garam masala (home made mix).

With some leftover spinach I made SPinach stuffed shells, using low-fat cottage cheese.

Two weeks ago when spinach was just coming in I made Chickpea and Spinach Curry. I added tofu to this mix and it was so yummy. It also makes a ton, so there were plenty of leftovers for lunches.

Also on my list today: Spinach Balls, Spinach Gnocchi


Lettuce -- pretty much just making salads and using on sandwiches

Beets -- I love them, and never know what to do with all of them.
In the oven right now is: Chocolate Beet Cake from Susan V at Fat-free Vegan Kitchen.

Marinating in the fridge are the beets for Roasted Beet and Three Radish Salad
Did I mention that we have three varieties of radishes?


I really need some recipes that freeze well. I am off to the field for 5 weeks (coming home on Sat. nights), and want to take yummy homemade food with me. I really hate eating at less-than-stellar restaurants -- not too mention where I am going is not known for its vegetarian friendliness. I won't feel like, or have time, for cooking at the field house, so whatever I can make on the weekends and eat on all week is the plan. If you have any suggestions, please drop them my way!

No comments: