Sunday, January 28, 2007

Baby, it's cold outside

So, you may have noticed I have been absent from posting for a while, sans the post of yesterday. I have been super busy with work and life, mostly life. I have been taking a much needed and deserved break this weekend, hiding out in our cozy ranch with its newly installed Buck Stove in the fireplace cranking out the warmth. There is nothing like a sunny, windy, CRISP day to motivate me to get in the kitchen. And I find that cooking and baking helps to clear the cobwebs and cure the blues.

Today I am making Vegetarian Cashew Chili, a Cooking Light recipe, but one I can never find in the mag, so I resorted to looking it up in kickpleat's index. Out of all of the types of beans we keep around the house, kidney beans were not among them, so after a jaunt to the store, with side-trips to Sam's and Khols' for some much-needed retail therapy, I am in the kitchen cooking up a fresh pot of kidney beans to use in the chili.

As if the chili wasn't enough, I felt this overwhelming urge to bake sweet breads (real breads, nothing of the cheese head variety). I have been on a muffin/breakfast cookie kick the past few weeks, even going so far as to dream (!) of lemon muffins. Today I am making Chai Spiced Pumpkin Bread courtesy of 28 Cooks, via Everybody Likes Sandwiches, and will throw together a banana bread when we get back from a blustery stroll with the pooches.

No comments: